Creaturiste's Laboratory

Techniques, works in progress, and everything that doesn't fit in the portfolio. Comments and questions are encouraged, custom orders are welcome!

Monday, October 1, 2012

Hot Tomato Sandwich

Spicy Onion Mayo + Tomato Sandwich = EDIBLE AWESOMENESS!


Another very quick meal for the artist on the go. Also good when we don't feel like preparing complicated meals, but yet we don't want to sacrifice TASTE and grunt-worthy appreciation.

Just mix some finely chopped onions (raw) into some mayo (or veggie substitute), add hot sauce (I like a chipotle hot sauce), a splash of maple syrup, some salt, black pepper, & lots of paprika.
This sauce is amazing as a dip for veggies or fries, or as a special sauce for burgers or hot dogs.

Healthier fries: sweet potato fries cooked in the oven, instead of fried.
Takes longer and the fries are more soggy, but it's yummy!
 
The tomato sandwich need not be complicated: just spread this spicy mayo generously on both slices of toasted bread, add a layer of thick tomato slices and a leaf or two of lettuce, then close the sandwich, and EAT! It's drippy and messy, so use a large plate and have some towels handy.

The sauce can last at least a week in the refrigerator, but I've never been able to see how much longer it could keep, as I eat it quickly.  

Chipotle Hot Sauce:
I buy a can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (brand La Costena, from Texas), and liquify in the blender with enough lime juice to make it liquid enough to be funneled into a glass bottle I like to keep it in.  I could make my sauce from the peppers and separate ingredients, but I don't find chipotles in my local stores.  If the store is out of limes, I use rice vinegar instead. Not as good, but it works.



No comments: